Friday 11 January 2019

Why blog?

I've been taking photos for more than 30 years but have never really done anything with the images.
They either sat in a box at the top of the cupboard (80's, 90's) or reside on a hard disk these days, mostly unseen. 
I've set them as backgrounds on my computers, created screensavers and shared the odd slideshow, but I've never really exposed them to their full potential.

This year, I have been printing some pictures to help bring them alive... This one below now adorns a 90x60cm frame in my kitchen.


Deepcut woods, Autumn 2016

Since creating my website in late 2017, I've been wondering how else to get my photos "out there". In this day and age, everything needs a story, a context. Lots of photographers go down the vlogging route, and there are some fantastic vlogs on Youtube. I regularly get advice and inspiration from the following, among others...



But I don't want my face all over people's screens and I don't have time to make regular vlogs. These guys are lucky enough to be able to fund their vlogs via their photo work (and vice versa) but it takes a long time to get that traction.

Before vlogs, there were blogs, so this is mine. It's a way of hopefully personalising some of my images and giving them context. Even if I'm the only one that reads this, I'm sure it'll be nice to go back and read through them one day, when I'm old, or when I've made it as a professional photographer!

No comments:

Post a Comment